Wednesday, May 7, 2008

How to lose weight by training at the gym

Tonight I went back to the gym, after 2 days rest. My abs were still hurting from Monday from a weak attempt at sit-ups.



Today's weight



Started on the scales. 82.10kg. Hmmmm .. still got 7kg to go



Stairclimber machine



I climbed on the stair climber machine for 7 minutes, 50 seconds - the equivalent of 50 floors according to the machine. That should sweat me out, lose some weight.



I was listening to The Field - Over the Ice. Good motivating tune.



Very very tiring, the last 10 seconds were impossible.



LifeFitness Shoulder Press machine



This machine works Deltoids and Triceps. At this stage I don't have any triceps. None.



I started with a 25kg weight. I haven't done any weights in a while, so I feel that my muscles have sort of atrophied. I didn't want to overdo the weight, especially as I was going to be pulling 12 reps, with 3 sets.



I usually do 10 reps, but decided today I should work on doing 12, if possible. I usually want to stop at 8. So today I noticed that writing this down, as I was doing the workout (I write in a notebook, then blog later - more about that later), I feel as if it motivates me. I feel as though I have an audience that I can't let down, that I can't look bad in front of. Kind of the same feeling as having a personal trainer.



The next set I stopped at 10. I plain forgot I was meant to do 12. The final set I stopped at 10, but this time it wasn't because I forgot, but because I was just exhausted - I wanted to stop at 8 to be honest.



LifeFitness Fly Machine



After the Shoulder Press, I moved onto the fly machine. I selected 35kg to start. The first 10 reps were easy, the last 2 a bit harder. I'll move up to 40 on the next set, I thought. 12 reps of 40kg was indeed harder on the second set. This time I really felt it on my chest. I looked up at the machine to see which muscles it's supposed to work - the Pectoralis Major and the Anterior Deltoids apparently. Back and Chest that is.



The final set, 12 reps - feeling shaky - that's a good sign.



Medicine ball



Then I moved onto the medicine ball, extended leg situps. A 4kg ball, unfortunately I couldn't find anything heavier. 10 of them. That's all. Abs still sore since Monday. Then another round of 10. The Field's Everday on the iPod. Final set of ten. Ouch.



Stretching Station



Then I moved onto the stretching station, where I stretched my quads and hamstrings. My hamstrings are really weak, if weak is the right word. Not very flexible, bendy. Something I should work on.



The rower



I finished off with 8 1/2 minutes on the rowing machine.



Overall a pretty good workout, to start. I haven't been to the gym in a while. My only exercise has been cycling to work. I'll need to up the visits, pretty quickly.






blog comments powered by Disqus